Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Monday, September 29, 2008
What does four single serve bags of baby carrots and two tootsie roll suckers have to do with boys u-9 soccer?
The first one to come up with the correct answer may just get a sweet little prize. Maybe.
Or maybe not.
At any rate, I'll be back to fill you in on the answer Tuesday night.
And Nicci, you can't play along since you know the answer.
The rest of you, leave me your guess and then click over to Nicci's blog and check out her great photography skills!!
Saturday, September 27, 2008
35 Things about ME
I pulled this from Meredith from life at 7000 feet.
1. Do you like blue cheese salad dressing? with hot wings only
2. Do you own a gun? Yep, we have 3. We keep them in the garage and they squirt water really far!
3. What's your favorite drink at Starbucks? Tall, non-fat pumpkin spice chai (no coffee)
4. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? milk
5. Do you do pushups? whats that?
6. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? My wedding ring.
7. Favorite hobby? blogging. oh and I love to play soccer!
8. Do you have A.D.D? Probably, but I've never been diagnosed
9. What's one trait that you hate about yourself? I'm insecure, even though I can put up a good front.
10. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment: I should go eat my sandwich, What are my kids watching and why do people feel it necessary to take advantage of others giving nature.
11. Name 4 drinks you regularly drink. Water, Dr. Pepper, OJ and one glass of milk a day.
12. Current worry right now? My lack of income.
13. Current hate right now? the coming rainy months
14. Favorite place to be? Home with my family
15. Do you like to travel? Yes
16. What color shirt are you wearing? White
17. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? No, flannel is my favorite, even in the summer
18. Can you whistle? Kind of
19. Favorite color? Red
20. If you could would you be a pirate? Yes!! For a day that would be fun. I would be a nice pirate though!
21. What song do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower, I usually spend that time praying.
22. Favorite girl's name? Avery, Brooke, Mallory
23. Favorite boy's name? Well, I'm kind of partial to Benjamin and Cooper, but I also like the names Sawyer and Tucker.
24. What's in your pocket right now? $7.04
25. Favorite bedsheets as a child? Seriously? I can't remember.
26. Worst injury? Whiplash from falling in a soccer game and hitting my head, hard.
27. Do you love where you live? Yes, but I am also willing to move, if God opens the doors!
28. How many TVs do you have in your house? One
29. Who is your loudest friend? Ummm, let's see.........me. My friends are the quiet types.
30. How many pets do you have? None, Ben has a fish, but unless the tank gets cleaned sometime in the very near future, she is probably going to die soon. And I'm NOT cleaning the tank.
31. Does someone have a crush on you? Hopefully my husband does.
32. What is your Favorite Book? Besides the Bible? Well, I d0 love the Twilight series, but my favorite of all time has got to be Bridge to Terabithia.
33. What's your favorite candy? Hot tamales.
34. Favorite Sports Team? Salmon Creek soccer boys U-6 Avalanche and boys U-9 Fighting Hornets!! They are so much fun to watch.
35. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? Yay, It's Saturday. I can go back to sleep!
Thursday, September 25, 2008
I've lived in Washington State for 26 years and the Seattle area for half of that time and I've never seen icicles form like that on a building...........
I lived in Anchorage for the first 9 years of my life and I used to see them form like that all winter long there.
Not in Seattle though.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
I don't really care who came out of the closet yesterday.
This on the other hand is worthy of the cover of every magazine at the registers.
But you'll never see it there.
And since it was on the last hour of the Today show it was probably missed by many.
However, I believe this is newsworthy.
Since I know that some of you will not (or cannot) watch the video I'll tell you about it.
It's my heartthrob Kirk Cameron.
Declaring that he will never kiss anyone other than his wife.
Not even in the name of acting.
I guess I'm okay with that.
He's also promoting his new movie Fireproof.
Which I believe every couple in America should buy tickets to and go see.
Our nation would be changed.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
She's givin away a Hoover (the vacuum, not the dam.)
Guess what I need?
Yep, a vacuum. Mine broke last week.
I went a week without vacuuming, then my friend Lisa asked me to watch her 14 month old. I said "sure, but bring your vacuum so she is safe to be on my floor."
Since she has central vac in her house she so kindly left her vacuum in my care until I could get mine fixed.
Dave took our vacuum to the repair today. The guy said "it's not worth fixin. It'll cost more to repair it than to buy a new one." hmmpppfff.
So then tonight I'm out blog lurking and I stumble across Mama Kat's Great Hoover Giveaway.
I need that vacuum.
Oh and by the way Mama Kat, your blog totally rocks.
You are pretty.
Your kids are super adorable.
Yep, I'm totally sucking up.
Kind of like that Hoover.
By now you've all met her, right?
She's my mother.
She sews. Great things.
She knits. Beautifully.
Oh, and she cooks. Impressively.
I'm sure she learned all that out of necessity.
She was one of 12 children and grew up very poor.
So if she wanted it, she learned to make it.
Apparently I didn't have the need to learn all those things.
Oh, I tried to learn to sew.
I made a windsock in 6th grade Home Ec.
It was hideous.
She proudly displayed it out for all to see.
I wanted to learn to knit a few years back.
She tried to teach me.
I am right handed, she is left.
Yeah, that didn't work.
I AM a good cook.
I can follow a recipe very well.
I have rarely ruined anything.
I often take liberties and experiment with recipes to make them my own.
However, there is one thing that after all these years has elluded me.
It's the pie crust.
I can make the dough.
I follow the recipe.
I just cannot get that dough rolled out.
It gets tough.
It doesn't ever fit my pan.
I have never successfully fitted a pie pan with my own homemade pie crust.
I've tried and failed.
Then I go to the store and buy my old favorite.
So, mother, please come.
Teach me to make pie crust.
You gas money could save me from a lifelong, expensive relationship with the dough boy.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Remember this post? I told you about a little boys named 'J' whose mother had died recently.
I have more info to share with you all:
J's mom died very suddenly. While she was not a real healthy person, she was not terminally ill. One afternoon in late August she told her older son that she was going to take a nap and went and laid down. J was not home at the time. Around dinner time the older son went in to wake her up and she did not respond. He called his grandmother, who instructed him to call 911. The paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene. She had a blood clot in her leg that travelled to her heart.
J and his older brother have been mostly living at their grandparents house just around the corner from us, although I know that there is an aunt who is in the picture also. J has spent quite a few afternoons playing at our house in the past couple of weeks. He is a great little boy. Very respectful and nice. The handful of times he has eaten dinner with us he has been super polite and NEVER complains about having to eat salad or veggies!
One evening I walked him home and spent some time talking to his grandmother, who is a very sweet lady. She and her husband were just getting ready to retire and do some traveling before their daughter died suddenly, so she is a bit overwhelmed by the reality of having to raise children again. She did tell me that J's dad is in Minnesota but is no longer in jail there, so they fear that he may try to get custody of him. One would hope and pray that doesn't happen, knowing what little I know about his history.
Please continue to pray for this little boy. He is dealing with a lot of pain and although he tries to mask it, I can see that it is there. I want him to feel safe and loved at our house and know that it is a place that he can come to anytime. J doesn't have much in the way of clothes or other worldly possessions and we are in one of the more affluent school's in our district. I have seen first hand some of the kids flaunting what they have or snubbing others for what they don't have, and while I know that not all kids are that way, it can be rough for those who do not have.
Please also pray for Ben. He knows a lot of the details of J's rough life and has really stepped up to the plate to be a good friend to him. Please pray that this continues.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Ain't that a cutie?
I don't usually go for "cute" but it was cheaper than "not cute" and has some great features.
Now I just need to remember to use it.
Oh yeah, my sister Kris and I had a great time last weekend. We successfully did nothing productive and we had fun along the way. We ended up not picking each others toes. She did pick her own though. And she cut my hair (and Dave's and Coop's). I'm sure she had fun waxing my eyebrows, but I think she had more fun sending my family to church while we played hookie to go to Ikea and the Container Store. Nah, I'm sure waxing my eyebrows was the highlight of her weekend. Her train was late getting into Vancouver on Sunday, which means I got to keep her for a bonus 3 hours. Thanks Kris!
Friday, September 12, 2008
Where am I?
Why, thanks for asking.
My good bloggy friend Debbie invited me to guest blog over at
So head on over and check out how I've decided to try out a new method of parenting and am now letting my children run amuck.
Now I'm taking the weekend off.
You see my sister Kris came to visit me, so we are going to spend the weekend doing whatever it is that we do when we're together.
Okay, not really.
Normally when she comes to visit I put her to work painting or something like that, but this time she told me that she was not bringing any work clothes because she was riding the train and she wanted to pack light.
So, instead of doing anything productive we are going to sit around and twiddle our thumbs and pick each other's toes.
I'll take pictures.
See you all soon and thanks for stopping by!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Are you in a quandry?
Wondering what to cook for dinner?
Or maybe your just looking for a Carmel Corn recipe.
Well have no fear, MOMs who Cook is here.
After many months of lurking and secretly trying out their recipes, I have joined in the fun at MOMs who Cook.
So head on over to check it out for yourselves............you might just find a new family favorite!!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
The boys ended up in the same first grade class and one day J told me he wasn't going to be at our school anymore because he and his mom and brother were moving to their own apartment. I was happy to hear that his mom had been able to do that, but sad to think that he could possibly fall through the cracks elsewhere. We didn't see or hear from J again.
I was at Ben's school when I saw him standing in line to go into his class. He instantly recognized me (good thing, seeings as I had fed him for three month!) and smiled a shy smile. I said "J you're back! Are you living at your grandparents again?" He replied, "yeah, my mom died."
And that's all I got from him before his line headed into the classroom.
Please pray for this little boys whose eight short years have been marked with more turmoil and strife than he deserves.
Please also pray for us as we figure out how to minister and serve him.