Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Double Life

I've been keeping a secret from you all. Well it's not really a secret, just something that I've never talked much about here. Some people know and recently my sister Gina blew my cover. So I guess it's time to out myself. Alright folks. Are you sitting down? Come closer:

I'm on the PTA Executive Board

There, I said it. I've confessed. But wait, I have another confession.
I actually enjoy it!
People tried to warn me not to do it because it is just a "clique".
Well guess what? It is kind of a clique, but not in the sense that most people think. I like to think of it as more of a CLICK. You see, I have formed relationships with most of the other people involved and we have CLICKED. But that is because for the last 10 months we have been working in the trenches, with few other volunteers, trying to make our children's school a fabulous place to be with wonderful programs and activities that serve our children. We couldn't help but CLICK as we worked side by side. Are we exclusive? No way! If you want to be part of our CLICK then sign up to help, put yourself out there, your help will not be turned away and soon you'll be clicking with others too.
The other warning that I heard was "PTA is too political".
Political? Yes. Too political? No. There are by-laws and standing rules that must be adhered to. But most well functioning organizations have a set of governing rules, otherwise there would be incessant pandemonium.
The job of the PTA is to lobby on behalf of our children for better education, safety and health. Basically it is a political organization with no party ties. Is that so bad? It's okay with me because I am very aware of my political standings and what I believe and if the PTA stands for something that I don't agree with then so be it. This is still a free country and I am free to speak my point and have been known to do so when I disagree with something.
One last argument for not joining the PTA that I heard was "It takes to much time"
True, it takes time. I'm not sure how I have done it, but I did. I managed to work part-time, taxi kids to practices, work in the nursery at church, blog (oh yeah!), keep my house standing (I said standing, not clean), and do the PTA treasurer thing.
I also managed to miss the entire season of American Idol because I just didn't have time to watch (and we have yet to come into the TIVO century), but thanks to the writer strike I really didn't miss much other TV.
I know people have different levels of business that they can handle, but there are jobs on the PTA that require little time commitments and can be done from the comforts of your home.
I am a bit of a rebel. If people tell me I HAVE to do something, I usually try to find an good argument for not. If someone tells me I shouldn't do something, I almost always do it just to try to prove them wrong, so this time I joined the PTA.
Oh Yeah, one more confession:
I'm glad the school year is over!

7 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I'm on the PTA too. Kinda strange to explain yourself when you homeschool one :-) But...I am not on the executive board. You can have that one! My job is to log all the volunteer hours for the school. So I can do it at home at 3am if I chose. Which I don't because I'm asleep.

Gina said...

Yeah... So not for me. I especially wouldn't like your job. You and I both do the same things for our "work" jobs and I don't like it. Isn't that pretty much the same thing that you do as treasurer?

Lula! said...

Even if you were head of the Democratic National Convention I'd still love you. Rock on, Mrs. PTA!

Dee said...

You're amazing! Immediately when reading your blog, all I could hear in my head was the tune from MI2
You go double agent!

Debbie said...

Where when and how do I sign up!! You make me want to be the Treasurer too...what with this CPA i have and nothing to do with it; I do work on the student directory..but you really have inspired me to do more...And you are lucky school is over. We have TWO, repeat after me TWO ,more days. Why they think that is a good use of money to go two more days after the weekend is beyond me!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Good for you for finding something you love and doing it wholeheartedly. I admire your commitment to your kids and their school.

I volunteer at school SO much and do it happily, but I've only been to one PTO meeting in my entire life. It was torture. It lasted 2.5 hours and there was so much more personal talking going on than there was business.

I tell my friends (most are in PTO) all the time that I'll be their best volunteer but they'll never find me at a meeting. I just can't handle it.

Cookie said...

oh no your one of those! hehe! Do I have a blog comming on! I'll let you know when I post it!!