Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Normal

That's what life in the Alaskan Bush is.

We all get up together (most days), get ready for work and/or school. Some days I sub at the school, some days I work at the store, some days I stay home.

We all drive to town together.

The boys get dropped off at school. So do I if I'm working there that day.

Dave goes to the store. So do I if I'm working there that day.

In the afternoon the boys walk to the store unless it's real cold (below zero). In which case one of us will run and pick them up. Somedays they have activities to go to, like chess club or basketball or guitar lessons, right after school.

On the days that I sub at the school we hang out at the public library after school while we wait for Dave to get off.

On the days that I work at the store the boys just come there and hang out and wait for us to get off work. They like to pick a movie from the video department to watch on the giant display TV's. Or sometimes they go play on the big piles of plowed snow in the parking lot.

On the days that I am not working then the boys come home on the bus.

Evenings are spent at home.

If there is still daylight when we get home the boys almost always choose to play outside, no matter how cold.

There is chores and homework, always before playing outside.

Then dinner. Always made at home. We eat normal food. Sometimes it's something labor intensive, sometimes it's not and sometimes it's just cereal. Tonight we had Tyson chicken strips (from the freezer section) and Ore-Ida steak fries. We decided to pretend we were eating out at Red Robin!

After dinner is reading, baths and sometimes a little American Idol!

AWANA is on Thursday evenings and we go to potluck/Bible Study almost every Friday night.

Dave works Saturdays (he works 5 1/2 days a week, Wednesdays are his 1/2 day....such is the life of a grocery manager) so the boys and I hang out on Saturdays, usually at home, but sometimes there is something going on in town. Last Saturday there was an "Ocean Art" time at the UAF Bristol Bay campus. This Saturday there is a showing of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in 3D in the elementary school gym, complete with 3D glasses for the first 200 people!

Saturday evenings are usually spent hanging out at home, often playing games with friends or watching a movie.

Sundays are church and then more of not alot of anything. Sometimes football, sometimes sledding, sometimes lunch with friends (at our house or theirs), always a nap!

See, it's normal. Just like your life.

And now i have no idea what else to blog about.

12 comments:

The Hayes Zoo said...

Doing good Trish-

Remember though, normal is just a setting on the dryer. I don't have a dryer. Which is ironic...considering. Or pathetic. :)

Your normal might rock someone's world. You just never know...

Eryn said...

Sounds great...really nice.

Are you good with it?

Karyn @ Candarbry Garden said...

I sent you a link on FB for a blog that copies resteraunt food, for your next "pretend resteraunt" night. Personally, I couldn't handle all that family time!

Karyn @ Candarbry Garden said...

wow, I misspelled restaurant both times!

Unknown said...

Sounds pretty good to me!

Just a little too cold for me anymore.

What time is the sunset these days?

Kris said...

We used to have McAndrews or McBrandyns depending on who was helping. Made our own fry bags and burger wrap from computer paper.
Enjoy your 'Normal', it's always subject to change.

Meredith said...

Your normal sounds heavenly to me...

Love that you blogged about your normal!

Homestay Mama said...

Your normal sounds refreshingly sane and healthy! Not at all like my 7:00 a.m to 1:00 a.m. schedule! And even with those long hours, I'm still running to catch up!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You know what? It sounds wonderful. Not a lot of distractions and not a lot of running around. I might could live in the Alaskan Bush and love it.

Elena said...

It's good to have a record of how our daily lives go. I'm struggling over here with something to post. I don't know what the deal is lately!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Normal is rather refreshing isn't it?! But sometimes my own four walls demand a change of scenery. Is there something that you miss?

Debbie said...

Oh how I have missed reading your blog. I need to sit down and read back for the last year. And I will. After I get my kids to bed....